These are random questions that I get asked often.
If you have a question you want answered, place it in the comment box below!
When did you start doing pageants?
- I was 14 when I participated in my very first one. It really was just something that my mom brought up to me to see if I wanted to participate because it involved dressing up and public speaking, which she knew I loved both! Then it turned into more of a scholarship "hobby" because I chose to go to an expensive private college and my pageant experience helped pay for most of my college education that my scholarship did not cover.
How tall are you?
- 5'8" flat foot. 6' or taller with heels! I LOVE MY HEIGHT!
What type of cosmetics do you use?
- Currently, all of my makeup and skin care is Mary Kay. If you like something I am wearing/using, feel free to email, or comment below and I can tell you which item it is and direct you to where you can purchase it on my personal website! All products are shipped directly to you within three to five business days!
- Click here to find the products, colors, and techniques I use everyday!
- Click here to watch a video of me "putting my face on!"
Where do you shop for most of your clothing?
- I am a huge bargain shopper, so (truly) most of my finds are from TJ Maxx or Marshalls, and Gabriel Brothers. I shop online a good bit and keep one secret of where I find most of my "couture" fashion finds for extreme reduced prices, but if you email me, I will send you the link to where you can sign up for FREE to be a consumer too!
- I LOVE vintage also! So some of my pieces are items I have found at Goodwill or the Salvation Army and either "updated" with my own flare, or preserved the original style.
Who does your hair?
- A best friend of mine! If you live near the Ripley, WV area, Jordan Tennant at Mia Bella Salon, 304-514-2606. She is the best colorist I have ever seen. If you are not close to her, but are close to Morgantown, WV, I visit Audra at Nico Spalon about four times a year. I love her cuts!
- Click here to see a detailed listing of the products & tools I use on my hair.
What are your "must-have" beauty products?
- The three B's - Blush, Big Hair, Big Eyes
- Click here to see a detailed view of the skin care products I use.
What products are you obsessed with right now?
- Mary Kay's TimeWise VoluFirm Set. You can visit my personal website http://www.marykay.com/taliamarkham/ and order it directly from there. FREE SHIPPING with the VoluFirm set :) **Stole the photo below from a Mary Kay Sales Director. The lady featured is her customer.*
- Nexus Maximum Hold Hairspray
- BedHead Restorative Shampoo & Conditioner liters
- Nail Polish [any color or brand]
What is your favorite part of being married?
- Actually seeing - face-to-face -my husband laugh and joke everyday. I always knew he was an "impressionist" and had stories for days, but I always had to view them via FaceTime when we were dating. Now I get to see them in person, and that is one thing I look forward to each day!
- Cuddle time on the couch watching our favorite shows, or "pinteresting" while he watches hunting!
I really cannot see you on the farm. Do you like it?
- Honestly, I do. I never would have seen myself here either, but as soon as I met Jimmy I knew what I was getting and how my life would change if he were to ask me to marry him. It is worth the "change" to see him light up in his element! Oh, the things you will do for love!
Where do you go to church?
- Living Water Church in Ripley, WV. If you are close and do not have a home church, or do not feel "at home" in your church currently, I would love for you to see if my church is your fit. There is a spirit there and you know you have been to church! **Very Contemporary**
Do you have any brothers or sisters?
- Yes, I have one brother, Tyler, who is two years younger than me and married to my sister-in-law, Molli. Jimmy has two older brothers - Josh & John - and they have families. Sara & Noah are my sister-in-law and nephew and Stephanie & Charlotte is my other sister-in-law and niece!
Are you and Jimmy going to have children any time soon?
- Only if that is God's will, but at this point, I think that God would see that our track record with cats (have had many die unexpectedly and one run away) in the two years of our marriage and we believe it would be best to spare a humans life from our hands at this point! No, really we do want to have children, eventually [5+ years], but right now, we are in NO HURRY!
What is your style?
- I love the "loose, layered" look with skinny jeans or leggings and boots. Kind of the Jessica Simpson look back in the day:) Lately, my style has really evolved into vintage-flare with hints of couture. Black and white have always been my staple and I am all about something unique that's also figure flattering. And I am a jewelry fanatic! Rings and huge earrings are my obsession.
What was it like to be Miss West Virginia?
- Amazing! If I could be Miss West Virginia for the rest of my life, I would be! I loved the travel, the speaking opportunities, the growth, the people. I am still very involved with the board, formers and contestants and feel I owe the Miss West Virginia Scholarship Organization credit for much of my personal success. The Miss America Organization, as a whole, empowers women to go after their dreams and equips them with the support and scholarship to make those dreams come to life!
What was it like at Miss America?
- My mom and I had gone to Vegas two other times to watch the Miss America preliminaries and support WV, but being a contestant was SO different from watching in the stands. It is very exciting to be a part of such a wonderful group of women who are so talented, driven, and accomplished! And I made a best friend in the process - Miss Oklahoma, Taylor Treat:)
Why do you blog?
- I am a story-teller. I always have been and I always will be. I think with a blog, you can really look back and almost feel the story being told, even if you weren't there. I want to remember 'those days' and relish in the current moments by documenting them.
- Even though I have no education or true experience in this profession, I feel I am a teacher at heart. With that being said, I am a total girly-girl and appreciate all things beauty and fashion, so why not incorporate that profession by document sewing projects, decor DIY, fashion, hair styling, and makeup?
- Plus, as my cousin CaSandra Winter (who has an amazing blog - WarmWinterWishes) says, blogging is cheaper than therapy! And....I am finding that so true! It is up to my readers whether they want to really "see" (read) what my life looks like through my blog and my family is able to stay "up to date" on my hubby and I's activities!